Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Lemonade Experiment

When trying to engage my almost seven year old daughter in a discussion about making more money I ran into the popular "lemonade stand" idea. Great idea of course, but at the end of the day we have to take the stand down and I said to her "also, mostly we only have time to set it up on the weekends, like saturday...I said"..

"Why not figure a way to brainstorm an idea online that might someday lead to making money even when you aren't around?!" ...was my response. Here's where the conversation went next...

Well, my wise daughter said to me,

Lauren: "why not just ask people to contribute Fifty Cents each...and if enough people do it then I won't have to keep putting the lemonade stand up..."

Me: "How much do you want to make from this?"

Lauren: " I don't know..maybe I could make a website lemonade stand!"

Me: "Why would people donate to you without getting anything?"

Lauren: " I don't know, maybe they want to help me!"

Me: "Why would people want to help someone they don't know?"

Lauren: " I don't know...the same reason you want me to help people that I don't know maybe..."

[sidebar: this statement killed me. After wondering if she's heard anything I say, she really really floored me with that.]

So this is what I proposed: She could ask for donations but only if she is willing to GIVE something in return. This could potentially teach her and reinforce the spirit of giving to others, and begin a healthy and positive respect for money and wealth. She has agreed to give:

  • A real, custom picture deliverable by mail to a child afflicted with cancer for every $5.00 earned. She's a fantastic artist. I will post here each time she sends one of her custom pictures. If permission is granted, I will post the childs name who received it.
The Lemonade Experiment

So I decided to compromise and said that I would help her cause on this blog and if her donations exceeded her lemonade stand earnings than we will start her a full time website at the end of the summer. Her future site will be "The Lemonade Experiment" (or something similar :) So this starts the official "Lemonade Experiment For Wealth." You may donate to her cause on this page. If She succeeds we will start a new website that will be seen around the world as "The Lemonade Experiment."

When You feel the urge to donate to this cause/experiment go here:








Good luck Lauren! I will keep results posted here. You can donate her prescribed "50 cents" or whatever you choose when you push the "make donation" button. I programmed it so that you can put in whatever you like for donation.


0 comments: